Notebook Number Nine by Jackie Carreira

Notebook Number Nine

 by Jackie Carreira



My thanks to Jackie for sending me a copy of 

Notebook Number Nine

to review and to 

Rachel's Random Resources for inviting me onto the Book Birthday Blitz




When all the lies and hypocrisy of the world become too much to ignore; when you see it all so clearly that you can’t erase the image from your mind, what do you do?

When the thin veil of conformity drops from Bekki’s eyes she doesn’t know what to do either, so she sits down and writes a letter. Alice replies. But who is Alice? And is it even possible for ‘normal’ people to undertake a true journey of self-improvement without running away to a monastery up a mountain?

Bekki is going to find out.


My Thoughts


Notebook Number Nine is a really unusual book in that it infuriated me at the beginning and I really had to push myself to keep going because I felt that “ I should “ !!!!. However, once Beckie had started on her new life and was moving forwards with what she believed in for the next stage of her life I felt as though by the end of the book I had been enveloped in a warm , cosy hug which left me feeling in a better place with the world and the knowledge that we can all make a difference , no matter how small.

I think my issue at the beginning was that I found the Notebook and alter ego that Bekki was writing to frustrating and annoying , however, once I had accepted it and , to a certain extent looked at the reason why she did this at different stages of her life , it all began to make sense and fitted into place.

In fact Notebook Number Nine is a very clever book and it is one that I will go back and read again very soon as I will now look at the start of the book in a different way to my initial reaction. This is a book that will have you looking at what contribution you may , or may not, make to making the world around you a better place to be in and as it says on the back 

“ Notebook Number Nine is a life - affirming , often humorous story of self-discovery and what it simply means to be human . A lovely and thought provoking read.



About Jackie





Jackie Carreira is an author, playwright, musician, and co-founder of QuirkHouse Theatre Company and the Foreword Book Festival. Born in England to Portuguese parents, she grew up mostly in East London, but spent part of her early childhood in the Old Quarter of Lisbon. These colourfully diverse cities and her ‘genetic nomad’ background have had a big influence on both her writing and general view of the world. Jackie now lives in East Anglia with a husband, two cats, and an awful lot of books. She is a proud patron of Halesworth Library in Suffolk.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Delegate by Ali Carter

Watch Your Back by Emma Christie

The Secret Sauce by M.J. Porter