House of Twisted Shadows by J.H. Mann
House of Twisted Shadows
by J.H.Mann
My thanks to J.H. Mann for sending me an arc copy to review and to Rachel's Random Resources for inviting me onto the book tour.
About the story
Winter 1962. Amelia Tremayne has spent the past ten years in London trying to forget the lonely clifftop house where her father was killed. Tyler House was built shortly before the Second World War on Cornwall’s stormy coast by a wealthy German outsider. Its most unsettling feature is a vast glass dome that bends the light, casting twisted, elongated shadows across the walls.
Amelia’s father, Douglas Tremayne, a noted historian, was researching a controversial book about Tyler House’s Nazi origins - and its links to powerful figures in the local community.
As Amelia begins to uncover the truth about her father’s death, she is pulled into a web of buried secrets - and into a forbidden love that could destroy everything she holds dear.
INSPIRED BY A TRUE STORY
My Thoughts
This is an incredibly gripping story that pulls you into and doesn’t let you go until you reach the end. It was made even more so by the knowledge that it was inspired by a true story. Consequently I learnt aspects of our history that I hadn’t known previously which , I will be honest, I found quite disturbing.
J.H. Mann has created a descriptive story that has so many elements to it that it becomes a jigsaw as you try to piece the different elements together whilst also wondering who Amelia can and cannot trust. You will find yourself questioning everyone Amelia encounters in her quest to find her father’s missing manuscript , which in itself is a race against time as the sea is hell bent on claiming Tyler House.
This is definitely one of those books that is hard to put down as it such a compelling read and when I did finally reach the end I found that I was left with a lot to think about and needed time to digest what I had read.
As it is based on a true story it is well worth reading the afterword that J.H.Mann has included at the he end of the book and you may find yourself, like I did, trying to find out more about what actually happened in Cornwall and Devon during the 1930’s.
I have enjoyed all of J.H. Mann’s books to date but House of Twisted Shadows is in a different league altogether. A huge five ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ from me.
About Jason
J.H.Mann is an award-winning journalist and writer living in the South West of England. His second novel, The Echoing Shore, was a Yeovil Literary Prize award winner and the Adult Fiction Winner of the 2025 Selfies Book Awards at the London Book Fair. His third novel, The Silver Tide, has just been shortlisted for the 2026 Selfies Book Awards. He has strong family links with Cornwall. His novels are inspired by the many stories told by his mother and father and his own experiences as a shore-based volunteer for the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI). He lives with his wife, Nicola, and their lively whippet Patch.
Social Media Links –
Facebook – www.facebook.com/jason.mann.9047
Instagram – www.instagram.com/jhmannauthor/
Tik Tok - J.h.mann.writer (@j.h.mann.writer) | TikTok
Website: www.jhmannauthor.com




Comments
Post a Comment